In this BestTrip TV video, Lynn Elmhirst visits the famous Fogo Island Inn, on a remote fishing island in the North Atlantic off the shore of Newfoundland.
Not only is the Inn rated one of the top luxury lodges in the world, with award-winning and breathtaking architecture and design that still reflects the culture and craftsmanship of Fogo Island and Fogo Islanders. They call it 'hand-made modern,' and with only 30 rooms on this island that's 'far away from far away,' any trip is a ripe for memory-making, if not for the design or the dramatic natural surroundings, but for the opportunities the Inn creates for visitors to immerse themselves in the real life and lifestyle of this 400-year old fishing community.
The Fogo Island Inn is also the 'economic engine' of a foundation with a vision of a new way of creating spectacular tourism experiences that become a cornerstone of community economic benefit and cultural and social preservation, especially for small remote communities in danger of losing their identities, way of life, and even the entire community to the relentless march of modern life.
Lynn speaks to sister/ brother Zita Cobb and Alan Cobb, Innkeeper/ Founders of the Fogo Island Inn and Shorefast, the charity that strategically puts profits back into the local community to ensure it thrives in the modern world for generations to come.
Start your Island Trip!
All rights reserved. You are welcome to share this material from this page, but it may not be copied, re-published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Sign up for our Newsletter
You should see:
Staying at home has not just amplified our need to travel... more
- Top 10 Reasons to Travel to Croatia
- Now More Than Ever: Why You Should Work With A Travel Advisor
- 8 New Ocean Cruise Ships to Add to Your 2020 Travel Bucket List
- Think Overwater Villas are the Height of Exotic Luxury Travel? Try This UNDERwater Villa
- This is the First US-based River Cruise Line to Restart Cruising in Europe
- 2 Helicopters - And a Submarine! Video Tour of this New, Luxury Expedition Cruise Ship